|ID /IMO.No. 1085169.|
|Gross Registered Tonnage||1,251 grt. 793 nett.|
|Builder||Scott & Co., Greenock. Yard No.217.|
|Delivery date||June 26th 1882.|
|Hull||Steel, clincher construction.|
|Engine Supplier||Greenock Foundry Co.|
|Engine Type||Steam, compound, inverted|
|Engine cylinders||2 per engine, 25 ins.dia., 50 ins.dia.|
|Engine stroke||2.5 ft.|
|Engine Power||Total:- 240 nhp. 1048 ihp.|
|Propulsion mode||Twin Screw|
|Bale capacity||79,723 cu. ft.|
|Block coefficient (Cb)||0.693|
|Condenser cooling surface||2,434 sq.ft.|
|Steam expansion ratio||5.4|
|Boiler||2, Oval type.|
|Boiler pressure||80 psi.|
|Boiler dimensions (total)||16.58 ft.high x 12.46 ft.wide x 11.5 ft.long.|
|Heating Surface (total)||4,036 sq. ft.|
|Grate Area (total)||126 sq. ft.|
|Steam space volume||1,098 cu. ft.|
|Furnace||3 per boiler.|
|Furnace dimensions||6'0" dia., 8'4" long.|
|Propeller||Right & Left hand,10.0 ft. dia., 15.5 ft pitch|
|Propeller blades||4 per propeller|
|Propeller material||Cast iron.|
|Keel laid||Feb 16th.1882.|
|Launched||May 29th. 1882|
|Original owner||Coast Boats Ownery.|
|Delivered to owner||June 26th. 1882.|
The vessel was registered as the "ChungKing",( N.B. upper case C & K ) as recorded in Lloyds Register 1887/88. However in Lloyds Register of 1894/95 and also in the Mercantile Naval Lists of 1905 the vessel is recorded as "Chung King". This latter change could be a correction by Lloyds of the earlier 1887/88 entry which could have been in error. When written in Chinese it usually appears as two characters and on translating into English was written as "Chung-King", although this name was not the registered name. However in usage the hyphen was initially used, but just as often the hyphen was omitted, hence the ship was just as often called the "Chungking" in correspondence, and as such appears to be the intended name. The name painted on the side of the ship was "CHUNGKING". The sister ship is the "Wuchang I"
1883. Transfered to China Navigation Co.
Dec. 1901. Severly damaged by fire at Chefoo, but managed to reach Shanghai without assistance.
Sept. 1905. Sold to:-Tthe Russian Ministry of war and renamed "Ochotsk"
1906. Sold to:- the Far Eastern S.S. & Navigation Co., Vladivostok. Renamed "Amur"
1908. Sold to:- Y.Koga. Nagasaki.
1909. Sold to:- S.N. of Count Keyserling, Vladivostock. Renamed "Georgii"
1916. Sold to:- Russian Fleet Volunteer Association. Vladivostock.
Feb 1920. The vesel sought refuge in Shanghai after the fall of Vladivostock, transferred to the French flag.
May 1921. Reverted to the White Russian flag on the recapture of Vladivostock.
Oct. 1922. Evacuated White Russians to Shanghai and Hong Kong,after the fall of Vladivostok.
March 1923. Returned to Vladivostock and incoporated into Sovtorgflot.
1927. Seized by the Chinese gov't. and eventually to Tai Chow S.S.Co., Shanghai. Renamed "Tai Chow"
May 23rd. 1933. Seized by pirates on avoyage from Haimen to Shanghai, 2 dead.
1936. Tai Chow Sing Kee S.N.Co. became the new owners.
1938. Transferred to:- J.D.Tsounias (China Hellenic Lines Ltd, managers) Shanghai. Registered under the Greek flag. and renamed "Ano Vathy"
Dec 8th, 1941. Seized at Shanghai by the Japanese and renamed "Asei Maru".
July 15th. 1945. Became a war loss after being bombed near Woosung.
Built for the China coast trade.