None of the 5 "Hickory" ships were owned by CNC0. They were a unit of the C1-M class of 239 ships constructed by the United States War Admistration towards the end of World War 2 for inter-island work. A total of 30 ships were intended for the Ministry of War Transport, however when hostilities ended the number was reduced to 14. The vessels were placed on bareboat charter to the Ministry of War Transport who selected three British Companies to operate the first ten vessels. The companies were:- China Navigation Co., 5 ships, ( "Hickory Burn", "Hickory Dale", "Hickory Glen", "Hickory Knoll" and the "Hickory Stream" ) Indo-China S.N. Co. 3 ships, and Common Bros, Newcastle., 2 ships.
July 1945. Delivered under bare boat charter to the Ministry of War Transport, CNCo. as manager.
1947. Reverted to the United States Maritime Commission.
1948. Sold to the China Union Lines. Renamd "Union Trader".
April 10th. 1971. Scrapped at Kaohsiung - Nan Feng Steel Enterorise Co.