Sister of the ship Wuhu III
|ID /IMO No.1154058|
|Gross Registered Tonnage||3.009 grt. 1,731 nett.|
|Builder||Taikoo D.& E.Co. Yard No. 253.|
|Hull||Steel. clincher construction.|
|Width||46 ft. extreme beam 48ft.|
|Depth||21 ft. to upper deck.|
|Passengers||Saloon 42, First class 36 in 4 berth cabins, Steerage 144.|
|Engine Builder||Sulzer Bros. A.G., Ludwigshafen.|
|Engine Type||Diesel, 2 stroke, single acting, type 8S35. (Blast injection)|
|Engine cylinders||2 engines each 8 cylinders.|
|Engine Power||Total. 1,750 bhp.|
|Propulsion mode||Twin screw.|
|Generator||3 x Fiat|
|Generator power||Each 42.5 KW.|
|Generator voltage||110V DC.|
|Propeller||2, right and left hand.|
|Propeller blades||4 per propeller|
|Original owner||China Navigation Co.|
April 1941. Requisitioned by the Ministry of War Transport and initially used for transporting troops on the Malayan Coast. Later in the autumn the vessel was transferred to Singapore where she was refitted for hospital service, complete with an operating room, wards, dispensary, and even a padded cell.
Dec.14th.1941. Avoided capture, during the height of a Japanese air raid, carrying more than 400 patients, and was so over loaded that some stretcher cases were accommodated on the bridge.
1942. Based in Calcutta as a hospital ship after conversion. The open decks were boarded up and converted into hospital wards. During the winter of 1942/3 the vessel was employed in Burmese and Indian waters transporting wounded servicemen. When British forces invaded Akyab the ship was used as a field hospital.
1946. Returned to CNCo. After being refurbished, employed on the Hong Kong - Canton/Macao ferry service.
1950. Sold to the British Admiralty, refitted at the R.N.Dockyard Hong Kong renamed "H.M.S. Ladybird". Employed as the Naval Headquarters and Communications vessel for the Commonwealth Blockading forces, permanently based at Sasebo in Kyushu.
1953. Returned to CNCo. and sold to Wing Tak, Kowloon, for breaking up.
Built for the lower reaches of the Yangtse River, between Shanghai and Hankow. During the high-water season she was able to voyage as far up the river as Ichang.
Refer to "Wuhu III" for details of first and saloon class passengers.